They are so simple to whip up and are perfect with your morning coffee.
These have been a top seller at Caffe Republic. Lots of people grab a few with their coffee and keep them for snacks later in the day or the week. They keep really well in the fridge in an airtight container, and last well unrefrigerated because they are raw. Choose your protein powder wisely – not all are created equal! I use a raw, unflavoured whey protein isolate. There are so many options now including vegan, dairy free pea isolates if you avoid dairy.
- 12 pitted, fresh dates (buy about 250-300 grams
- 40 grams raw, unflavoured protein powder (chocolate or vanilla flavour will be fine if you already have it)
- 250 grams raw, organic almonds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons raw, organic cacao powder
- 1/2 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Blitz almonds in food processor to a fine meal, remove to a bowl
- Blend pitted dates and vanilla to a smooth paste, add 1 or 2 tablespoons of water if required
- Mix with all remaining ingredients in the bowl to form a smooth, pliable "dough"
- Form into 10 X 50g balls or simply divide into 10 or more as desired and roll between two hands.
- Toss balls into shredded coconut to avoid sticky fingers
- Or as I do at the shop, use a mixture of coconut, ground goji berries and pistachio nuts to toss the balls in.
- Use this as a base recipe and alter as inspiration finds you.
- Get loose with things like Chia seeds, matcha powder, different nuts, leave out the cacao (!) and add a pinch of Himalayan salt and some pure maple for a wicked, salted caramel version